Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday evening on the bank


Summer's sommer here - sticky - airheavy, deadstill.    We hit the sandbank after work, timing was all good, a 0.3m low tide (the sandbank appears in the middle of the bay if it's 0.5 or below) and its a lovely piece of sand.  The water was just like the air - surf thundering in at 2cm.  Ev worked up a sweat in the construction sector, and then went for a swim; Aiden dug up a huge sand-mussel, no idea how he located it - like a good 20cm across the shoulders, and probably 10cm thick at the join.  We checked it out.  Then I went and stuck it in the sand, sort of shin deep in the water.  I looked down, and there was another big shell half buried, but partially open.  I looked inside, and two eyes looked out at me (!).  It definitely wasn't the sand-mussel.  So with difficulty I prised it open, and hiding inside was  an octopus - holding the two shells closed with its suckers (it was surprisingly strong).  Cool. We checked it out.  It checked us out.  We put it back in the water.  In the shell it was a white octopus - when it got back in the water it shot off, and turned brown in about a second.  It then buried itself in the sand, effortlessly, like it had been swallowed, leaving just its eyes peeking out.  I knew if I looked away and looked back I wouldnt be able to find it.  I put its sand-mussel shell back down on the sand next to it, but open.  We headed off.  Before we left, we went back to look at the shell.  The octopus had undug itself, got back into the shell, and pulled the two halves together again. Somehow it then half buried itself and the shell - all you could see was the end of the two halves, and its eyes peeking out the crack inbetween.  Very cool. Ambush hunter of note. Then we went and watched the Stormers beat the Blues.  Also very cool.  Is it possible for Saturday to measure up to Friday night?  Hope you've got the work under control (as I'm sure you do).  I'll be joining you this weekend at the books.  Good luck next week - I'll whizz you a note before doomsday.

No comments: