Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

More grey skies, more rugby

The weather continues to be foul; rainy and cold (I always try remind myself that the heat of summer is oppressive, and to enjoy this... but it's all too extreme - or its the unhealthy habit of wanting to live in another time - I watched the movie "Midnight in Paris" last night - a light reminder of the folly of doing so).  It was lovely to see you, albeit briefly, in Pretoria.  To see you drive off in your car was strange and wonderful - the former because it seems like I've lived in huge bounds for the last 20 years, the latter because you seem so at ease with yourself and the world, yet so focused and driven - it's a great combination.  Nigeria was cool - chaotic, but cool; I met up with a guy that I know from Cape Town, and really like - he's philosophical, yet cooking with energy - another great combination.  I met some great people too - from Nigeria, Ghana, all over.  I miss Africa - but love it here too.  More suburbia in photos though - I got back, slept, and straight into the week that's passed - a busy one.  So surfaced for the first time this weekend - in the rain and mist and cold.  Ran and gymned on Saturday - hung out with the kids and Ange.  It was great.  This morning, Sunday, had to get up at 7.30 to go to the football club for the kids rugby.  Ev was playing at 9am; Aiden at 12.  Not ideal.  Ev developed a knee ache shortly after we got there.  It migrated North (at an amazing rate) and became a tummy ache - Ange left and took him home.  Aiden and I shivvered while waiting for his game.  I was grumpy.  We kicked a ball for a while, which improved things - he played - the first game in the mud - the second two in the rain.  An Irish woman standing next to me watching said that this was how rugby was meant to be.  I thought of Pretoria in July, and disagreed.

Aidie played well, he goes for it, and has quite a good little hand-off

No comments: