Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

A terrible wound

Aiden managed to fall out of a tree, and land on some rocks.  I cant explain how in doing this he managed to make a hole this size in his upper thigh - but he did - and it's been quite an experience.  He was at a mate's house, who promptly called the domestic worker (good thinking) who promptly called an ambulance (good thinking too).  So Aiden got to ride in an ambulance to the hospital, where they x-rayed him, cleaned him up and sewed him up (not without some serious discomfort, I might add). 


The next day we took him to our doc who took the bandages off and found this blend of stitches and steri-strips holding him together below - bleeding quite a bit still too - so she said there are not enough stitches here - and added another 4 to stop the bleeding.  That whole process took an hour and a bit - more wailing and discomfort.  Infection is the big risk, so we have to change the dressing every day - which means that all the pussy scabs get pulled off each time - the whole palava takes an hour - because the poor little oke is endlessly begging for a break, a rest, basically any respite.  I've tried to explain to him that there is no value in a delay - it just draws out the inevitable - but perhaps that is something that he's still got to learn from this whole thing.

Any way - I'm hopeful that the whole thing has really taught him something - and that would be to consider what you are doing (rather than not do things).  I dont have a good track record of this in my life - and have crashed in various ways as a consequence, bicycles, motor-bikes etc - so perhaps I'm naieve, and the whole thing is that you can't really anticipate everything.  I did, in an attempt to explain what I meant, ask him if he'd climb a tree over a pond full of hungry crocodiles.  He said not.  But that's the thing - we all might just - it's such a rush looking down at all those big lizards, after all.


I'm going to be spending a fair bit of time with this leg, so I'll whizz you a couple of updates as we go along - particularly since I've recently built a new flash system - more about that to follow.  Hope the quizzes wrapped themselves up in a helpful way - will give you a ring later to find out how.

No comments: