Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Work blast




My experience of working life is that it comes in waves. So I've just had a big wave passing through - a number of development programmes running in close succession, involving lots of people, catering for lots of people. This started last week and ended on Thursday with a conference that the development team was running. The point of this long winded explanation is to account for the graphic above. The conference was about a particular part of the IBO curriculum that our schools are starting to offer - and I needed a big print of this thing, called the Learner Profile - so I built this graphic to print vertically hanging vinyl banners from - and printed super big - 6m long (2 and a bit storey's high) and two meters wide. I made five different ones, and hung them as a backdrop to the stage and podium. If you click the picture to open it (it's big - 4mb) you will see that it's made up of a number of different layers blended together: a street market in Sham Shui Po, a frangipani tree, text - the Learner Profile bit - and a big ESF logo. So if you look through the blue layer, by looking through the frangipani shape you will see the market at the back. I felt a bit anxious about this whole thing, this is not what I'm trained to do as a living - nor is it my role to make things like this, and then to go and do it really big as well - but they turned out really well - very groovy and detailed - and I was asked by people at the lunch break to have a lucky draw and let five of the attending schools win one. So all in all worth the risk, and it was cool to see them up in this conference centre, I think its my first ever publically hanging art work - even if its a pretty commercial one.

No comments: