Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Four from yesterday, one from Karsh


I've been under the whip at work lately, scratchy, short; decided to deal with it mechanically, other things being out of my control. Exercise. I went up the big hill for the first time in what is probably years. It seemed the same, though on the other side in the distance, three new skyscrapers; like weeds. Also I was breathing really hard. The air was amazingly dense; no cooling, sweat pouring into my eyes. Then it started raining globs of water. Should have known, air like that, elevation; millions of water-marshmallows - soft, big drops. Soon the hillside was brown rivers shooting out and down, the path a rumbling ravine. Then lightning started flickering about, chasing me down back to the road. Took an hour to get home, but I'd walked the knot out of my stomach. Ghastly feeling
Here's the Karsh. How exquisite? It's Audrey Hepburn, taken in 1956 - I think a lovely image. Great light, shape, tone. Mine are far from this - though I think the book one has some class (perhaps undone by Batman peeking), and I like Ev's naughtiness captured. They are razor sharp if you click on them for a full size- something that good technology today has to offer over artistry from yesterday.






No comments: