Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Beach volleyball

 
Ange with Aiden and Ev during a break between games
In the spirit of sports-other-than-rugby I played in a beach volleyball match on Sunday - god it was such fun - Sheung Sze Wan (our village) vs Lobster Bay (the village across the bay - the real name of which is Tai Hang Hau I think).  Any way, we kicked butt - which was something of a surprise to all of us - as the opposing team had Malcolm - as in ex beach heavy and I think once life saver (now literally - saw him rescue someone in Thailand - which I think is an act of true heroism), and Doug - as in 6 foot 10 and 150kgs, big big man (with a big big heart, see top pic, with the court taking shape) - did you meet him in HK, I cant remember, but if you did, you would - and the superfit Warren etc - but somehow, SSW prevailed. Tex organised some truly blinding orange vests for our team, and then to round it off played in a neon green "budgie smuggler" - I laughed - there were some very funny comments flying back and forth. All in all its the most fun I've had on a Sunday in absolute ages - and it made me think too that there is something that is lost in suburbia, or perhaps it's South African suburbia - and that is community. It really is a valuable thing - and I'm only really seeing this now, glaringly. The thing that is weird for me personally is that some part of me resists it - some part that wants to keep to myself - and I found myself getting grumpy on the way to the beach (what is that?) - but then I have an absolute ball. Critically I think, you need someone like Simon who will arrange something like this - and I would just never think of it - maybe it's a confidence thinkg - that I can't imagine that a whole number of people would want to do what I wanted to do. Simon is confident - and everyone had an absolute blast (though I confess to feeling today like I've been through a tumble dryer or some such - all sorts of aches and pains - it was hypercompetitive.
Looks like a gloomy day - but actually lovely - aready hot and humid, so an absence of sun some relief

No comments: