Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Just before it all goes wrong (and then right)



I was rowing early this morning, and while I was doing it I looked outside and thought, I could take a cool pic of the boys playing in their paddling pool with an off camera flash that would allow me to put detail into the sky and islands in the background – what I’d do is put the flash on top of the canopy.  So while I was trying to cool down for a shower I decided to quickly set it up to see how it would work.  Nice pic don’t you think – board-shorts and a sweaty “wife-beater” as Aussies call rancid old vests.  I fired off one to see if the trigger would still get the signal tucked away on the awning.  It did, but it was nearly the last pic taken with that flash.  Out of nowhere comes a puff of wind, which makes the awning puff out like a sail of some sort, it shoots the flash up into the air, it does a nice little somersault or two, and comes crashing down on the paving, bits of plastic shooting out with a crash.  Aaaaargh.  I run over to pick it up, and getting there see that it's landed on the radio trigger, which has exploded (the trigger costs R80) and the flash is absolutely fine - wooohooo - lucky escape.  So this one is taken afterwards with the now-bounced flash - but of course on the camera, so it looks like a regular flash photo with nasty flat shadows (though the sky and islands still look cool, and I am so happy that the thing still works).

No comments: