Welcome to Joshua Online

Joshua Online is the web version of Joshua van Rooyen's personal magazine, Joshua International.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Kaching kaching - all maths bling

Aiden had to do a grouping grid for his maths homework - it was like pulling teeth.  Eventually he got it together to do an ultra-slacker's job.  Not good enough I'm afraid.  Then I had a brainwave of bribery + tidying up + undesirable job + homework task - so I agreed to give him this absolute sack of shrapnel that I'd collected over the years, if he agreed to group it and count it.  So we used masking tape to set up a grid on the dining room table...and the rest was straightforward cash incentive - very Hong Kong - and from an educators perspective, very much not intrinsic motivation, sadly.  But I'm also one for the short term victory.  It was quite a job he did, with a bit of help; $320 was the haul; more lego coming I suspect.  I look forward to watching how much they love him at the till.


No comments: